Monday, September 8, 2008

Stork & Rancid Milk Neck

Feast yer eyes, son, someday this could all be yors!


We did the Chiwawa this weekend to show Grandma Francis and Kian the place for the first time. On Saturday Heffe and I (Jeff still hasn't changed a diaper and so the honorary "uncle" prefix has not yet been bestowed) pulled off a nearly 7-hour MTB ride, so on Sunday I carried Kian right down to the rivers edge. He enjoyed sitting out there on a rock watching the light flashing in the rippling water, and the river sound kept him soothed on an otherwise ornery sort of day. I anointed his head with a few drops of water, he seemed to like it, and then I dipped his little feet into the water and he instantly came unglued... it wasn't THAT cold!

The customary group photo with two-Chiwawa first-timers!
...and this is where Ma & Pa chow down.



So Kian has got this irritation on the back of his neck that's common in little babies and its called something like "stork neck", interestingly enough, but I always thought that the stork carried infants in a sack or basket, not by the scruff of their necks. And speaking of necks.

Kian always has this warm musty smell that I kinda like and so sometimes I will bury my face in his neck and tickle him with mouth farts, but I learned the smell comes from spilled milk that trickles down his face and hides in the fat folds of his neck where it can get pretty rank. So now we've started to clean in there with a sponge and so he doesn't carry this smell very often anymore. Now he's usually got that sterile soapy smell, yuk, another drawback of so-called civilized society.

No comments: