Wednesday, October 19, 2011

For Real This Time

Many months ago I reported that Kian used the potty for the first time. I figured that this was a monumental moment and that it was the beginning of the end for diapers, but it turned out to be a false alarm. We burned through hundreds of diapers since that day and everytime we had to pickup another pack of them it seemed to hurt just a little more than usual. It seemed almost like it was a "been there, done that" moment and he just wasn't interested. I tried pleading with his rational side every so often: less mess, less bother, less time, less cost for daddy, but he didn't seem to care. Then one day about a month ago he was sporting his big boy undies under his pants and he pleaded with us to put a diaper on so that he could poop... are you kidding me!? We actually did that a few times prior but I finally put my foot down. He was dancing around on his toes saying "hurry daddy, hurry daddy, put me in a diaper" and I knew then that I had him where I wanted him. "Kian, sit on the potty and I'll give you some ice cream". That was the hook that I was looking for. He's been awesome ever since and only wears diapers now when he's sleeping or on longish road trips. Whew, finally off the diaper!


Kian has lots of funny and cute turns of phrase that I always hope to document before he outgrows them. They sometimes don't last more than a few days and before I commit them to memory he's done with em. Today before dinner we were eating some cheese and crackers and I presented Kian with some brie and he says, so sure of himself, "I don't like brie, but when I'm older I will like brie!". Well, at least he's not to the "yuck" phase yet.


No comments: