Monday, October 6, 2008

A 3-Day, 3-Dimensional Weekend

Kian from the Left.

We took off later than desired on Thursday night but we made it all the way to Newhalem, at which point, Daddy could drive no more: Annie and Kian had been sleeping for hours already and loud music was no longer doing the trick. Besides, we had our house on our backs... why hurry, so we bedded down at the roadside stop in town and slept to the pitter-patter of rain on the rooftop. Was this really Kian's first night in the Tortuga, I forget?

The next day we did a great little 3-hour hike on the East side of the pass up to Cedar Falls and Kian kicked-it in the Chariot. It was a tight, rocky, steep trail and the stroller did great but it was pretty much a grunt.

News on the photo front: I FINALLY completed the assemblage of my 3-D camera rig by picking up the final gadget that I need to sync my two identical digital cameras together, a pretty costly little device that I had been putting off for months. I have my two cameras now mounted side-by-side and with a push of a button they turn on together, focus together, zoom together, and trigger together. I've had an old Kodak stereoscopic camera for several years that I bought from my friend and 3-d inspiration, Marlin, but I just couldn't get into the time consuming tasks involved in exposing and mounting the slides.



And so I've just realized that all my 2-D images of Kian from this weekend are going to be either the left or right halves of a 3-D shot -- I don't think that I took one shot this weekend that wasn't meant to be 3D. My eventual goal and master plan will be to have YOU at home with a 3D viewer so that you can check out Kian in all his mutli-dimensional cuteness.



With a pokescope viewer you'd swear Annie had this knife at your throat.

No comments: