Monday, August 4, 2008

Annie and Me and Fetus Make Three!

Tomorrow is the due date that I've been staring at on the calendar since New Years Eve, the day that I found out. Needless to say, my resolutions were turned upside down in that moment. Actually, the mental evolution has been pretty interesting but not something I plan to get into right now...

Its this fetus, our little Bon-bon, that has already taken on a personality beyond what I ever could have imagined. It kicks and jabs, gurgles and farts (Ann says its hiccuping), and I already notice a resemblance. Its amazing how fun it is to see it (imagine it) growing, to feel it push and prod against Ann's insides. I wish I could feel what thats like. There is a reason why we are always so partial to our own kids, our own family (its evolutionary my dear Watson), but the fact that we can make sense of and give personality to a fetus is pretty extraordinary. Although however incredible it may seem, its made relatively mundane when considering that we give personality to our cars and our pet goldfish.

Annie told me that she was walking down the busy sidewalk during the Crit in Bend a few weeks ago when she bumped into someone. Looking down she realized that it was another pregnant woman, their bellies compressed, and I imagine that in that brief instant, during that momentary pause when the two expectant mothers chortled, the fetuses made a connection and their hands reached out through the nimbus-like amniotic fluid just as ET for Elliot. The women shyly and clumsily bumped their way past each other and continued on through the crowd. We cyclists raced past in ignorance dreaming only of glory and diminishing pain.

No comments: