Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Religious or Spiritual

After a lengthy deliberation we finally decided to go through with the circumcision, and it was performed today by a Sephardic Jewish Rabbi on the dinning room table of his home in south Seattle. It was an interesting cultural and medical procedure and I'm so glad that I skipped out of work to attend: I wasn't sure I was going to be able, but made it happen: I realized that I needed to represent and be there in solidarity with the little man!

Annie and I both had a literal hand in the event, as I held little Kian's legs pinned down and Annie kept the sugar water-drambuie soaked gauze in his mouth -- it helped! -- while the Rabbi did his thing. That's all you'll get out of me. I don't mean to overstate it, but I was slightly traumatized and glad its done. Walking up to the Rabbi's house I had the sort of feeling you might get when you are taking your dog to the vet to be put to sleep, or maybe heading into a surgery with some apprehension about the outcome: I guess it was that sense of loss.


Next stop, the Sakya Tibetan Buddhist Monastery in north Seattle this Sunday where we have been invited/accepted to be apart of a "long life" baby blessing for Kian. Here's what one of the Monastery assistants mentioned about it:

"1. Brings about family happiness.
2. Ensures long life of child.
3. Decreases obstacles for the child.

Performed by a lama. The lama will recite prayers and give the child a sacred blessing cord and long life katag. The parents should bring flowers, incense, candles, and offerings for the Buddha to be put on the shrine. Suggested donation and offering: $20."

During my many dealings with Buddhism while traveling throughout Asia (in Thailand, Nepal, India and Tibet), from meditation retreats to Buddhist teachings and "dhamma talks", I eventually took vows of "refuge" in Buddhism, and so I continue to be a committed student. The journey continues.

**Note** If you care to attend and stand by little Kian for this short ritual ceremony, you would be hugely welcome. It might be a nice cultural experience for you too. Give a call.

No comments: